Dandruff refers to the flaking scalp which falls like snowflakes. They are very embarrassing and irritating on the scalp as it also causes lot of itchiness and rashes. The scaliness increases with brushing and often even lumps can be formed which is very painful.
The main causes of dandruff is impairment of general health, toxic condition of the body brought on mainly by wrong feeding, constipation and lower vitality due to infectious diseases. Other factors could be emotional stress, harsh shampoo, and exposure to cold and general exhaustion.
Natural way to treat Dandruff
- First and foremost keep the scalp clean so as to minimize the accumulation of dead cells.
- The hair should be brushed daily to improve blood circulation and remove flakiness. The most effective way to brush is to bend forward from the waist with the head down towards the ground and brush from the nape of the neck towards the top of the head.
- The scalp should be massaged daily with finger tips. This should be done just before or after brushing the hair. Like brushing this stimulates blood circulation on the scalp and dislodges dirt and dandruff and encourages hair growth.
- Applying lemon on the scalp removes dandruff immediately. But in case it causes a burning sensation due to itchiness on the scalp add lemon to coconut oil and apply on the scalp at least for an hour before you shampoo the hair.
- Washing the hair twice a week with green gram powder in curd is very useful in reducing dandruff
- Applying Methi paste for at least 30 minutes before washing the hair is very useful. The Methi seeds should be soaked overnight in water. The seeds should be ground to form a paste in the morning and applied on the scalp.
- Dandruff can be removed by massaging one’s hair for half an hour with curd or a few drops of lime juice mixed with Amla juice every night before going to bed.
- Another easy way to counteract dandruff is to dilute cider vinegar with equal quantity of water and dab this on to the hair with cotton in between shampooing. Cider vinegar added to the final rinsing water after shampooing also helps in reducing dandruff.
- Massaging hair with a mix of castor oil, coconut oil, olive oil, Avocado oil and almond oil before every wash not only helps in reducing dandruff but also promotes hair growth.
- One must eat a lot of carrots, beetroots, tomatoes basically food rich in Vitamin E, C and A to make the hair fuller and keep the body healthy to avoid bacterial infection that causes dandruff.
- Daily dose of Omega-3 fatty acid, calcium, Vitamin B and Vitamin D should be taken care. As deficiency of that can lead to dry hair, hair fall and dandruff
Above are mentioned a few tips to address the problem of dandruff. However one has to work on the overall body to keep it fit and healthy and solve the dandruff problem permanently. It is true when it comes to body what is on the inside reflects on the outside.