Whenever you those white flakes on your shoulder or black dress, you feel disappointed. Dandruff hurts your self-esteem in public. These tiny flakes have the power to diminish your confidence. It hurts your behavior in public.
These tiny flakes are characterized by itchy, white flakes on your scalp. It may cause other symptoms such as greasy patches and tingling skin.
The medical term for dandruff is seborrhoea. This condition is known to weaken the scalp due to poor hair brushing, stress, and dry skin. This condition can be pretty ruthless. Symptoms include:
- White flakes
- Skin irritation and inflammation
- Hair fall
Causes of Dandruff
Home remedies for dandruff are effective, but they do test patience and persistence in this fight. If you understand the factors that trigger its existence you can avoid its battle:
Malassezia is a yeast that feeds on the excess natural oil secreted by the human scalp. This yeast gives birth to rashes, an itchy scalp, and dandruff.
If you have dry skin, you are likely to experience irritable skin, stubborn dandruff, and an inflamed scalp. The situation can worsen during winters.
Stress plays a major role in all of your health conditions. If you are stress-free, you will remain happy and healthy. If you experience any kind of stress, it wreaks havoc on your health. The same goes for your scalp.
Poor scalp hygiene:
If you do not take your scalp hygiene seriously you are sure to suffer its consequences. These consequences could be in form of dandruff.
Unhealthy eating habits:
Your hair and skin reflect what you eat or intake. Years of unhealthy eating, loads of sugar, spices and junk food can take their toll on your scalp.
Some diseases like Parkinson’s, eczema, or psoriasis can be the reason behind your dandruff issues.
If the dandruff gene exists in your generation, not even the best hair care can protect you from it.
Pollution and heat:
Pollution and heat result in coagulation of sweat, dirt, and grime on your scalp. When these combine, they become a lethal combination for your hair and scalp.
Home Remedies for Dandruff
There are many home remedies for dandruff treatment that you can use regularly to get rid of dandruff. However, to get the desired outcome you will have to get certain ingredients ready. You also have to mix these ingredients in a prescribed format and apply it to your hair and scalp. This will help you get rid of those disgusting flakes that negatively impact your self-confidence.
Apple cider vinegar:
This is one of the best remedies for dandruff and hair fall as it restores the pH of the scalp. Vinegar’s acidity stimulates the shedding of dead skin cells on your scalp. As it balances your skin’s pH it reduces fungal growth.
How to use apple cider vinegar for dandruff?
- First, add some apple cider vinegar with equal amounts of water and keep it aside.
- After you have washed your hair, apply this mixture to your wet hair.
- Gently massage your hair with the mix.
- Leave it dry for 15 minutes, then rinse it off.
Coconut oil with lemon:
We have always heard our mothers and grandmothers vouching for this magic oil. Yes, you got it correct-coconut oil. The anti-bacterial and hydrating nature of this oil makes it an excellent home remedy for dandruff. The oil’s moisture adds a solid barrier to dandruff’s entry on the scalp. The citric acid present in lemon is a natural pH adjuster for the scalp.
How to use coconut oil with lemon?
- First, you heat two tablespoons of coconut oil and add an equal amount of lemon juice to the oil.
- Once this is done you can apply this mixture to your hair and massage it gently to your scalp.
- Leave it for 20 minutes and then wash it off with some shampoo.
Tea tree oil:
The benefits of tea tree oil are known to one and all. Tea tree oil is an effective home remedy for many skin ailments, dandruff being one of them. The anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of this oil remove dermatitis causing oily fungus from the scalp.
How to use tea tree oil?
- Mix a few drops of tea tree oil to almond oil or any other carrier oil of your choice.
- Apply this mixture to your scalp and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with the shampoo of your choice.
You can also add tea tree oil to your shampoo and wash your hair with this custom-made anti-dandruff shampoo.
It is an active ingredient when it comes to hair and skincare products. Neem extracts are found in various shampoos and soaps. Neem is anti-fungal, anti-viral, and anti-inflammatory in nature. Thus, it stops the growth of dandruff causing fungus.
How to use neem?
- First, you have to prepare a paste of neem leaves in a mixture.
- Then you strain the juice from the paste using a muslin cloth.
- Apply this juice to your scalp with cotton.
- Keep it for 20-30 minutes and then rinse it off with a shampoo.
Aloe vera has a variety of skin and hair benefits. Even the juice of aloe vera leaves is a healthy drink. Aloe vera has a moisturizing effect on dry skin. The anti-inflammatory actions of aloe vera help reduce irritation. It contains enzymes that reduce inflammation when applied to the skin. The ani-oxidant properties prevent cell damage.
How to use aloe vera for dandruff?
- Scrape out the aloe vera gel from the leaves.
- Apply it to your scalp.
- Leave it for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with water.
It is a very good remedy for treating dandruff at home. It contains calcium, magnesium, dietary fibers and vitamin A.
If you follow the following procedure at least thrice a week you will benefit from the process as far as dandruff is concerned.
How to use orange peel for dandruff?
- Take some orange peel and mix a bit of orange juice into it.
- Grind the mixture in a grinder to form a paste.
- Apply this mixture to your hair and scalp.
- Leave it for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with water.
Olive oil is a nourishing oil and adding it to your beauty regime can work wonders for your skin and hair. The antioxidant property of olive oil not only reduces dandruff but also promotes hair growth.
How to use olive oil for dandruff?
- Take some olive oil in a small bowl.
- Massage the oil on your scalp and hair.
- You can leave the oil overnight or else wash your hair after 30 minutes.
The antibacterial property of basil leaves helps keep the scalp healthy and dandruff free.
How to use basil leaves for dandruff?
- Take some basil leaves and wash them thoroughly.
- Put them in a grinder and make a paste.
- Apply this paste to your scalp and hair.
- Wash it after 30 minutes.
It contains biotin which is a major vitamin that treats dandruff. Egg yolks act as conditioners that can make your hair soft and healthy.
How to use egg yolk for dandruff?
- First, you have to separate the yolk from the white portion of the egg.
- Keep your hair and scalp dry.
- Apply this yolk to your hair and scalp.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap or a plastic bag for an hour.
- Wash it off with a shampoo of your choice.
- You can use the shampoo twice to get rid of the odor.
The antimicrobial property of curd makes it a mild cleansing agent that keeps dandruff and dry hair at bay.
How to use curd for dandruff?
- You can mix a little bit of lemon juice into the curd.
- Then apply the mixture to your hair and scalp.
- Keep it for 15-20 minutes.
- Then wash it off with a shampoo.
Some other tips to keep in mind when treating dandruff
Below are a few tips which you can follow when trying to get rid of this menace.
- Choose your shampoo with care. Do not over-wash your hair as that may also be the reason for your problems.
- Keeping your scalp clean is of prime importance. That means that you should wash your head after every 3 days.
- Select an antidandruff shampoo. Since the market is full of these products try and test is the only method available. Only after trying various products, you can select what suits you best.
- Use your own comb. Never should you use another’s hairbrush or comb?
- Proper rest is mandatory when you want to treat dandruff. Lack of sleep and stress could be major reasons for your dandruff issues.
- Covering your hair always protects your hair from dust and dirt. Thereby protecting them from those white flakes.
- Be sure to use herbal products for your hair. Other synthetic products might have chemicals in them which might result in dandruff.
If home remedies do not work
You will find these home remedies quite effective when it comes to getting relief. But sometimes additional treatment might be needed. These could be in form of medicated shampoos or other scalp treatments.
These products contain antifungal and antibacterial ingredients in them designed to decrease dandruff.
If these products don’t work then you might want to consult a dermatologist who will prescribe some other products.