Diarrhea refers to frequent passing of loose, watery unformed stool. The disease could be acute or chronic. Commonly it is known as loose motions. The intestines normally get more than 10 litres of water per day from diet, water intake and secretions from the stomach, pancreas, liver and intestines. In the case of diarrhea the water holding capacity of the gets limited and hence the urge to defecate often comes.
The main causes for this condition are faulty eating, overeating, putrefaction of the intestinal tract, and weak digestive system, and nervous irritability, use of antibiotic drugs and excessive usage of laxatives. Other causes could be parasites, germs, virus, bacteria or a poison which has entered into the body through food, water, air, allergies to certain substances or even common food like milk, wheat, eggs and sea food and emotional stress or stress in adults and fright in children can cause diarrhea.
Diarrhea over a prolonged period can cause weakness, dehydration, dizziness also nervous conditions.
Home remedies to treat diarrhea.
- One of the most effective remedy is to consume a lot of buttermilk. It helps overcome infected intestines. The acid in buttermilk also fights germs and bacteria. It should be consumed sparingly.
- Carrot soup is very effective as well in controlling diarrhea. It provides water to the body to combat dehydration, replenishes sodium, potassium, calcium, sulphur and magnesium, supplies pectin and coats the intestines to reduce the inflammation.
- Immediately consuming pomegranate juice helps to control diarrhea
- Consuming powdered mango seeds has proven benefits of treating diarrhea. It could be given with or without honey
- Turmeric is a natural antiseptic. It helps in controlling inflammations. It is also a gastric stimulant and a tonic. In the powder form it can be consumed with buttermilk or plain water.
- In case of diarrhea caused by indigestion dry or fresh ginger is very useful. Powdered ginger with rock salt helps in curbing diarrhea. The powder can also be taken with jaggery.
- Starchy liquids like barley water, rice water, coconut water is very effective to control stool. These liquids replenish the lost water in the body and also help in binding the stool.
- Consuming Chamomile tea, blueberry tea can also ease diarrhea and provide some relief
- Having a combination of mint juice, lemon juice with homey can also reduce the inflammation of the intestines and control loose motions.
- Having charred toast helps is arresting the problem of diarrhea almost instantly as it helps in binding the stool and increases the capacity of the intestines to hold liquids.
The above are just a few remedies amongst many. It depends on what works for each body and how the body reacts to each remedy.
It is important to have a healthy lifestyle so that such unnecessary problems can be avoided.