“Massage”, as soon as you hear this word, your mind gets relaxed. This is a rejuvenation technique that has been there for thousands of years. Ayurveda has a special place for body massages. Ayurvedic body massage oils can work wonders for your body and mind. When we talk about massages, we often think about luxurious spa treatments reserved for special occasions.
One way of accessing body massage in the comforts of your home would be Abhyanga massage. Abhyanga means ‘self-massage.’ For many oil massage may sound like a messy and complicated process best left for spas. But once you get the hang of it, you can do it in the comforts of your homes.
Why should you massage your body?
The act of massage melts away tension and stress from the mind and muscles. The benefits of massages are further enhanced by Ayurvedic massage oils. Ayurvedic massage ensures a balance between mind and body.
The benefits of body massage:
- Musculoskeletal and nervous system health:
Massage stimulates receptors that transmit sensory signals to the central nervous system. This in turn causes a reduction in tension in muscles and the feeling of relaxation. Massage causes the release of endorphins. This reduces pain and muscle tension.
- Proper circulation and lymph drainage:
It is a well-known fact that massage improves the circulation of blood in the body. When blood circulates properly in the human body, it shows as well. Your skin shines, radiates and you feel healthy from within. Massages increase the flow of lymph fluid. It means that the body’s ability to ward off infection and detoxify tissues increase. White blood cells count and performance also increases. Swelling and inflammation in the body decrease.
- Improved sleep patterns:
While massaging hormones like endorphins and serotonin are released. It creates a whole body-state of relaxation, which can help you fall asleep. It also helps you find a normal sleeping pattern. Serotonin is also needed to produce melatonin. Melatonin influences the sleep stage of the circadian rhythm.
- Softer and stronger skin:
Massage can release tension and relaxes muscles. Thereby reducing the appearance and development of wrinkles. Increased blood flow and waste excretion help cell regeneration. This supports your skin’s resistance to infections and diseases. It leaves your skin feeling smoother and younger.
- Healthy vision:
Eye massages can improve blood circulation around the eyes. This might impact your vision in a positive way.
- Lustrous hair:
Scalp massages increases hair thickness by stretching the cells of hair follicles. This in turn stimulates the follicles to produce thicker hair. Scalp massage helps dilate blood vessels, beneath the skin, thus leading to hair growth.
- Firm and strong limbs:
Massage on the limbs, both hands and legs can relieve sore and tired muscles. The benefits depend on pressure you apply. Light pressure can be relaxing and deep pressure relieves tension and pain from the muscles.
- Reduce post-injury and post-surgery swelling. A professional massage is a great way to deal with sports injury or post-surgery rehabilitation. Massage helps ease recovery from injury, exercise, or surgery. Improved blood circulation allows damaged and tensed muscles to be filled with oxygen-rich blood. This enhances the healing process.
- Reduce fatigue. Massage therapy boosts mood and promotes better quality sleep. It makes you feel more rested and less worn out at the end of the day.
- Prolonge your youthful glow. Massage increases blood flow, which encourages toxins to leave and nutrients to enter cells. A regular rub down can make a huge difference to your skin’s appearance.
These are some benefits of regular massage therapy. You can get it done by a professional masseur or try an abhyanga massage. Both have benefits.